Want to see another sea of clouds destination in Tanay, Rizal? Go on day trip or overnight at the newly-opened Ridges and Clouds Nature Camp.
Tanay, Rizal is known for its scenic mountain views with an occasional “sea of clouds”. Near the same road of some popular tourist attractions such as Masungi Georeserve and Treasure Mountain, a new lodging opened up called Ridges and Clouds Nature Camp.
At the time of COVID19, travel is highly restricted with several requirements necessary to complete a trip. Thankfully, Ridges and Clouds has a Department of Tourism permit. Operating strictly by reservation, they also have a limited number of accommodations and simple amenities that discourage crowding or overbooking. Plus, its open-air and no airconditioning features allow guests to roam freely with only nature.
So for travelers like us who are itching for some fresh air without going too far from Manila or posing a risk of catching the virus, Ridges and Clouds is a great option for a quick escape from the indoors.
Our First Trip out of Quarantine
Like most of the world, a lot of the plans Josh and I had for 2020 were canceled, one of which was our wedding. Still, we wanted to celebrate October — one of our favorite months because of our annual Halloween costume parties. So we searched for the best choice for a quick trip out of quarantine.
Ridges and Clouds, a relatively obscure (for now!) Tanay, Rizal attraction was one of our choices primarily because they it having a DOT permit, its proximity, its open-air features, and familiar but secluded location.
Thankfully, they did not disappoint! We were impressed by the COVID19 preventive measures such as signing health declaration forms, temperature checks, and sanitizers in key areas. Because of the limited number of evenly-spaced tiny cabanas, there also weren’t too many overnight guests.
We booked a Standard Couple Cabana with shared CR since we wanted only basic amenities. The cabana was small but comfortable, with only enough space for sleeping and storage. We immediately set up our mosquito nets and brought out our own fleece blankets and dinner. Because there were no cell signals or electricity outlets, we spent a lot of time just talking, watching the amazing mountain views during the day, bathing under the full moon at night, and drinking piping hot coffee as we enjoyed the cool air. It was the perfect place to disconnect and give our souls a break from several months of staying at home.
That night, since it was around Halloween that we booked, we warmed up with a cup of noodles and a pre-downloaded horror movie from Netflix. In the morning, we enjoyed the pre-booked sunrise breakfast at the viewdeck, where we savored bangsilog and tocilog with brewed coffee surrounded by cats and dogs (the place is pet-friendly!). No sea of clouds during our visit, but what a great day to be out of quarantine.
Ridges and Clouds Nature Camp Rates for Overnight & Day Trip
Ridges and Clouds Nature Camp offer affordable overnight and daytrip prices. Its packages are most ideal for couples, however, it can still accommodate big groups of families and friends — post-COVID19 of course.
Here are the Ridges and Clouds rates, inclusions, and terms (swipe left for the price):
|Standard Couple Cabana (Common CR)||Small||2||2500||Free breakfast for two|
|Large||2||3000||Free breakfast for two|
|De Luxe Couple Cabana (Own CR)||Small||2||4000||Free breakfast for two|
|Large||2||5000||Free breakfast for two|
|Twin Ifugao House||6||8000||With two rooms, living room, dining room, own CR, and outdoor kitchen|
|Excess pax||Each||500||Max of 10 excess pax|
|Tent-pitching||Each||300||Max of 3 tents|
|Tent-pitching excess pax||Each||500||Max of 3 tents|
Payment terms. Reservations or advanced booking is required for the accommodations and the amenities — walk-ins are discouraged! Guests must deposit 50% downpayment and pay the other 50% on site, in cash.
Overnight accommodations. An overnight stay includes mattresses, pillows, a mosquito net, CR use, dining areas, and free hot drinking water and use of a grilling area.
House rules. Smoking and vaping are limited only to the parking area. Ridges and Clouds Nature Camp is pet-friendly too. Guests must observe silence starting 9PM.
Camping. Camping at Ridges and Clouds is allowable although hasn’t been practiced as of writing. However, the weather is really cold especially at dawn, so it might be more comfortable to stay at a cabana.
Day trip entrance fee. For day trips, you will have to pay an Entrance fee of PHP 200 per person, good for 3 hours.
Toilet & Bath / CR. There are good showers and toilets in the area — everything is clean even if it’s a shared bathroom. Not many use the T&B as well, especially since most of the accommodations have their own.
What to do at Ridges and Clouds Tanay
Though Ridges and Clouds Tanay is a great place to unplug, you also will find many things to do in the area. Here are the amenities that you can access in the area (swipe left for more info):
|Sunrise Breakfast||6 – 7AM||2||700||Silog meals & brewed coffee|
|Couple Cabana upgrade||2||500||Silog meals & brewed coffee|
|Coffee Date||1 hour between 4 – 6PM||2||500||Cookies/sandwiches & brewed coffee|
|Romantic Dinner||1 hour between 4:30 – 8:30PM||2||1000||Choice of fancier viands!|
As mentioned, it is best to book these amenities in advance as other guests might also be interested in availing of the activities. Ridges and Clouds is currently developing their other amenities. Many of these are still closed due to social distancing measures:
|Kawa Bath||500 / pax|
|Mini Pool||TBC due to COVID19|
|Massage||TBC due to COVID19|
|Bonfire||300 (until 9PM only)|
Food & Drinks. There is a sari-sari store that is open until 8PM, though the availability of food is not guaranteed. You can buy a limited variety of cup noodles (PHP 30), 3-in-1 coffee (PHP 20), snacks, and rice meals (PHP 150-200) from the store. You can also make use of their free grilling facilities, just bring your own coal briquettes and utensils.
Things to know about your Ridges and Clouds Nature Camp DIY Trip
- Check-in / Check-out time. For day trips, arrive no later than 6AM to catch the sea of clouds (if any!). For overnight stays, check-in time is between 2 – 9PM. Check-out time the next day is at 12NN.
- Best time to visit. Ridges and Clouds Rizal is around 1.5 to 2 hours from Manila. If you’re driving during the regular hours, expect some build-up in Marikina and Antipolo area during daytime. It’s best to visit during warmer months or during the summer because the rainy season can make the trails going to the area more muddy or accident-prone.
- What to wear. Sweaters, jackets, sandals, track pants, or cargo pants are good combinations. I suggest wearing sandals because there might be extra precipitation in the area that causes the tracks to be muddy. The weather is also cold because of the high altitude, so best to bring warm clothing.
- Things to bring. If you are staying overnight, note that there are no electric plugs, fans/air-conditioning, or mobile signals in the accommodations. As such, I advise you to bring a powerbank, anti-mosquito spray, toiletries, flashlights, towels, umbrella, utensils, and extra blankets.
- COVID19 regulations. Ridges and Clouds Nature Camp Tanay, Rizal are able to get their Department of Tourism permit. Guests might need a barangay medical certificate acquired at least 3 days from your trip to pass through the Tanay checkpoint between 6AM – 5PM. You should also wear face masks and bring sanitizers. Guests aged 18-65 years old are the only ones allowed on the premises. Note that these might change without prior notice depending on local government regulations.
- How to commute to Ridges and Clouds. From Cubao, take a jeep going to Cogeo Gate 2 or Cogeo Public Market. At Gate 2, ride a jeepney going to Brgy. Maysawa. Tell the driver to drop you off at Treasure Mountain jump-off point or Bryg. Maysawa waiting shed located between Bureau of Soil and Waste Management and Pico de Pino Restaurant. Then, ride a tricycle going to Ridges and Clouds Nature Camp. Note that the last jeepney trips back to Manila is at around 5 – 7PM.
- Driving to Ridges and Clouds Tanay. Set your Waze pin to Ridges and Clouds Nature Camp. Should you get lost and there’s no cell signal, ask directions from the locals or fellow travelers for Treasure Mountain, which is a popular landmark near the area. Expect some rough roads as you turn to Brgy. Maysawa.
- Ridges and Clouds contact number. Please comment below or LIKE and message me via Facebook page to get updated Ridges and Clouds Nature Camp contacts.
Though we didn’t get a sea of clouds view, the mountain view, breakfast at the viewdeck, the cool air, and the unplugging from our routines are enough for us to enjoy a quick (and safe) escape from home quarantine at Ridges and Clouds.
If you have any questions, feel free to send me an inquiry on Facebook — I answer everything!
More Rizal attractions
- Rizal Resorts
- Treasure Mountain
- Luljetta’s Hanging Gardens & Spa
- Mount Purro Nature Reserve
- Mt. Mapalad
- Masungi Georeserve
- Mt. Daraitan