Much has been said about 2016 being the worst year ever. Here’s how the year looked like to me.
#1 The Yard, Quezon City
Photo has been used for Manila Nightlife article which has been published also in the Manila Bulletin. It was during the night spent with other blogging friends sampling out the must try’s of the famous food park.
Went with TrailAdventours as a volunteer guide to the famed Batad and Banaue Rice Terraces. My inner grade school child squealed in delight as she saw the sight only previously seen in books.
#3 BGC murals
Because I’m a lover of wall art, me and my friends hunted them down at BGC. It was actually a triple date in celbration of Toni’s birthday. Photos have been used for my third Life Lately installment.
#4 Caramoan Islands
Won a trip to Caramoan Islands with TravelBook PH. Saw the raw and rugged beauty of the islands that have spurred many Survivor episodes.
#5 El Nido
Gone to Palawan, the world’s best island, cramped with Europeans clad in bikinis that made me feel like a foreigner. Saw the splendid beaches, crystal clear water, magnificent limestone formation that tourists all over the world fly in for.
#6 Guimaras Island
At the start of the year, we missed the Ati-Atihan Festival in Aklan by a week. So instead, we backpacked the entire Panay Island — taking buses from Aklan to Antique to Iloilo to Guimaras Island to Capiz and back. Still zero plans to go to Boracay.
After taking up MBA this year, I hardly had the time to go too far from Manila. Took mountain climbing trips, museum visits, and city tours instead. Priceless when we took Dad, a history teacher, to Intramuros and seeing him marvel and pause to read each historical marking.
#8 Masungi Georeserve
A chance meeting with the owners of Masungi Georeserve, who at the time faced crisis on possible closure due to permits. Went on a personal visit where it was clarified that politics and land grabbing were behind the threat of closure. Saw the beauty first-hand and wrote in the name of the #FreeMasungi movement.
#9 Mt. Batulao
One of the few mountain climbing trips this year. Went to investigate the boycott of Mt. Batulao in the name of illegal fees and collections. Later this year, it has been lifted. We are now freer to see this seemingly dinorsaur’s back mountain again.
It was also the year that I….
- Contributed to various publications, namely Cebu Smile Magazine, Manila Bulletin, Definitely Filipino, looloo, and Thought Catalog.
- Won an Oppo F1S phone!!!
- Earned my first commission at affiliate marketing.
- Became top contributor level at TripAdvisor.
- Read Brene Brown and Harriet Lerner books.
- Reviewed a record-breaking number of accommodations.
- Briefly enjoyed PokemonGo.
- Voted for the first time…
- …and avoided posting anything political at the ongoing Facebook shitstorm.
- Climbed fewer mountains, Mt. Sembrano and Mt. Balagbag.
- Went to Coron as an assignment for Manila Bulletin.
- Started my MBA journey, which is the highlight of this year!
- Purposefully gotten myself left behind to explore Baguio City with perchance strangers.
- Finished the entire Harry Potter and Star Wars series.
- Joined fewer Ultimate frisbee tournaments, but still played pickups frequently at Sunken Garden.
Lots of my millennial peers say 2016 is the worst year ever. Maybe 2016 didn’t turn out the way we wanted to be. On my end, there is a long list to be thankful for. Now, 2017, let’s see what you hold for us!
This post is an entry to Pinoy Travel Bloggers 2016 Blog Carnival hosted by PinoyAdventurista!